Bookmarks on Januar 14th, 2018
- Day 358 | What The Fuck Just Happened Today? –
- Washington Monthly | How to Fix Facebook—Before It Fixes Us – “Thanks to the U.S. government’s laissez-faire approach to regulation, the internet platforms were able to pursue business strategies that would not have been allowed in prior decades. No one stopped them from using free products to centralize the internet and then replace its core functions. No one stopped them from siphoning off the profits of content creators. No one stopped them from gathering data on every aspect of every user’s internet life. No one stopped them from amassing market share not seen since the days of Standard Oil. No one stopped them from running massive social and psychological experiments on their users. No one demanded that they police their platforms. It has been a sweet deal.”
- Is There Something Neurologically Wrong With Donald Trump? – The Atlantic –
- Humans of New York – “My mother’s friends say that I’m just like her. She died of breast cancer when I was two years old. (…) one year at Thanksgiving, my aunt told me that my mother had left me a letter and a video. She got so angry when I told her I’d never gotten it.”
- Humans of New York – ““I’m pretty sure I’m a sociopath. (…) By the time I got to high school, I was a monster. I only cared about being the best. I was a bully. I’d argue just for the sake of arguing. I would destroy any belief, just to be right. (…) I’m not sure I feel empathy. But I do always try to make the empathetic choice. It’s an intellectual thing for me. I’m intellectually convinced of the need for empathy.